Even though we oftenspend more time with our loved ones during the holidays than at other times of the year, quantity doesn't necessarily add up to quality.
So make an effort this year to step it up a notch, dig below the surface, and learn more about your loved ones - and your family history.
Here are a few holiday-related conversation starters you might want to try:
- How did your family celebrate Christmas Eve?
- How did your family's heritage shape the way you celebrated the holidays (meals, traditions)?
- Did you have a Christmas tree? If so, where did you get it?
- Do you remember making any special holiday decorations for the tree or to place around the house?
- What kinds of dishes did your mother or grandmother prepare for Christmas Eve or Christmas day dinners?
- Where did you celebrate Christmas, and who was there?
- What do you remember about Christmas morning?
- What special Christmas gifts do you remember receiving as a child?
- What gifts do you remember making or buying for someone else?
- Was there music in your home during the holidays?
- How did your family commemorate Christmas as a religious holiday?
- What favorite holiday books or movies stand out in your mind?
- How did your family celebrate New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
- What special dishes were served on New Years?
- What is your favorite holiday memory?